The Magnum Foundation and the Inge Morath Foundation announce the 11th annual Inge Morath Award. The annual award of $5,000 is awarded by the Magnum Foundation to a female photographer under the age of 30, to support the completion of a long-term documentary project. One award winner and up to two finalists are selected by a jury composed of Magnum photographers and the director of the Inge Morath Foundation.
Inge Morath was an Austrian-born photographer who was associated with Magnum Photos for nearly fifty years. After her death in 2002, the Inge Morath Foundation was established to manage Morath’s estate and facilitate the study and appreciation of her contribution to photography. Because Morath devoted much of her enthusiasm to encouraging women photographers, her colleagues at Magnum Photos established the Inge Morath Award in her honor. The Award is now given by the Magnum Foundation as part of its mission of supporting new generations of socially-conscious documentary photographers, and is administered by the Magnum Foundation in collaboration with the Inge Morath Foundation.
Past winners of the Inge Morath Award include: Zhe Chen (China, ’11) for Bees; Lurdes R. Basolí (Spain, ’10) for Caracas, The City of Lost Bullets and Claire Martin (Australia, ’10) for Selections from The Downtown East Side and Slab City; Emily Schiffer (US, ’09) for Cheyenne River; Kathryn Cook (US, ’08) for Memory Denied: Turkey and the Armenian Genocide; Olivia Arthur (UK, ’07) for The Middle Distance; Jessica Dimmock (US, ’06) for The Ninth Floor; Mimi Chakarova (US, ’06) for Sex Trafficking in Eastern Europe; Claudia Guadarrama (MX, ’05) for Before the Limit; and Ami Vitale (US, ’02), for Kashmir.
All submissions must be postmarked or delivered by April 30th, 2012.
Form of Submission:
- Images should be sent as a PDF document ONLY (no Quicktime, Powerpoint, or HTML files will be accepted).
- The first image of your PDF should show your name and the title of your project.
- Please do NOT format your document as a slideshow; we’ll do that for you. Also, please do not password-protect your file.
- A folder with the individual image files (JPEGs) must accompany the PDF file.
- All submissions must consist of work done solely by the submitting photographer.
- Photographers represented by Magnum Photos and their immediate relatives are not eligible.
Required Support Material:
- Project description. This should describe the project and how the Award will be used to complete work on the project.
- Curriculum Vitae (maximum three pages) including name, email address, telephone number, and mailing address.
- Photocopy or scan of ID clearly showing date of birth. All applicants must be under the age of 30 on April 30th, 2012.
Image File Specifications:
- 40-60 images (1200 pixels on the longest side @ 150 DPI saved as a JPEG compression at 8 minimum).
- In the folder containing individual images, please use numbered filenames indicating the image sequence, with the number coming first in the file name and then last name; for example: 01_Smith, 02_Smith, 03_Smith etc. (use only two digit numbers; 01, 02, 03, etc.).
- Please label your CD with your name and contact information before sending it, and please test the CD to ensure that both it and your PDF are functional.
- If you wish to submit your files digitally, please compress your complete submission into ONE FILE before sending.
- Digital files may be submitted to this address: https://dropbox.yousendit.com/ingemorath
- It is highly recommended that anyone submitting digitally contact the Inge Morath Foundation to directly confirm that your submission has been received. (Please do NOT contact Magnum.)
Submissions By Mail:
- Submissions may be sent on CD by mail to the address below:
Inge Morath Award
c/o Magnum Photos
151 West 25th Street, 5th Floor
New York, NY 10001 USA